Monday 9 February 2015

Vocaroo--Simple way to record for learning

Vocaroo--a Simple Tool of Recording for Learning Language

Podcast has been popular in many fields, such as tourism, advertisement,  education. The content of podcast can audios, videos and image materials. The tool I want to introduce is an audio podcast, which is easy to get access to and totally free. 

First, I'd like to introduce you how to use it.
1. Search the website http://vocaroo.com/. You will see a clear webpage.
2. Click to record, up to five minutes.


3. After you record, you can save it in many ways.

You can email, embed, share it in facebook, Blogger, etc.I embeded what I record, you will see how clear the sound is.




Audio and voice recording >>

You also can download it as a mp3 file by simple click ‘MP3'.

Podcasting has been used by many educators for many reasons. I think the most significant reason is its convenience and flexibility. Learners can listen to it everywhere by their smart phones, ipod, laptop, etc. It is helpful to learners with their listening. Vocaroo is not just has the benefits of usual podcast. It is unique because of its easy recording. As learners can record their sound easily with Vocaroo, they can use it to complete speaking tasks. Teachers can check their students' speaking tasks after class to save time.

I think this will be a useful tool for me to check my students practice after class. I used to ask students to reader after some IELTS listening text (as they are preparing for IELTS), then send me their recording by Wechat. Although it is convenient, the recording could just last 50 seconds. It is not enough. With Vocaroo, they can read longer and send the recording by email directly. If they can embed in their blogs, then it will be even better for me to give feedback.

I like this web tool, but it also has its limitation. I tried to use it on my Mac, it always appears 'nothing was recorded'. This is because of the microphone. After I changed to anther laptop, I can use it with an earphone which is with microphone together. As a result, it may be limited to some certain facilities. Another drawbacks is about the length. If someone want to record longer text, then it could not be done. However, I still want to say it is worth trying.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment